Sci-fi fans gathered Thursday for what is being touted as the “largest Star Trek gathering,” in Las Vegas.
Organizers say the convention, hosted at the Rio Suites Hotel, will feature 80 Star Trek celebrities including “The Four Captains,” William Shatner, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew and Scott Bakula.
Fans of the original-run, 726 episode TV series and 11 feature-length movies won’t be left out either. Nichelle Nichols, George Takei, Walter Koenig and Ben Vereen are all expected to make appearances at the weekend-long event.
Those wishing to attend the series will have until August 11, 2012, to find Klingons and Blue Andorian’s at the convention. If you want to meet your favorite celebrity there will be parties, autograph sessions and photo opportunities.
“The Las Vegas Convention is all about celebrating the positive and hopeful message that Star Trek represents with its acceptance of diversity and a future where humans get along with each other. That and grabbing a drink in the bar with a blue Andorian kind of makes it special,” said Monica Gillen, spokesperson for Creation Entertainment, the production company behind the event.
The “Official Star Trek Convention” is now in its 11th year in Las Vegas.
Star Trek Convention highlights:
- The “Four Captains On Stage Together!” (Sunday)
- The 25th Anniversary Reunion of the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation (Saturday)
- Avery Brooks in a full musical concert performance (Saturday)
- World’s Record Attempt at most people in Star Trek Costumes at one place, we broke the record last year with 1040! (Saturday, press arrive at 12:00 PM at the Brasilia Ballroom)
- Costume Contest – See the best in the galaxy! (Saturday, 8:45 PM, Main Theater)
- Breakfast with Original Star Trek Stars Walter Koenig and George Takei (Chekov and Sulu) (Sunday)
- Star Trek Stars Rene Auberjonois and Ethan Phillips in a comedy performance (Thursday)
- For the kids, glue guns & phasers: craft workshop. Activity is free and supplies will be provided!
General admission tickets are available in advance (www.creationent.com) or at the door for $35 on Thursday and Friday, and $40 Saturday and Sunday. General admission tickets for children 12 and under are $25. Children under six are admitted free when accompanied by a parent or guardian. Show hours are Thursday, 10:30 AM – 7 PM, Friday, 10:15 AM – 7:00 PM, Saturday, 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM and Sunday, 8:00 AM – 7:00 PM.
If you love Star Trek, Vegas is the place to be this weekend! Check out my facebook page by clicking here.